Losing Focus

I know… I left everyone hanging with the promise of Part 2 of the Australia feature (and it’s coming, I swear!). I just wanted to post a quick update and let you know where I’ve been.

As some of you already know, I’ve been struggling with eye issues for months. A year of wearing ill-fitting contacts left me with serious cornea damage in both eyes. Being without spare specs, I found myself in a catch-22. I needed to lay off contacts for my eyes to heal, but until they healed they were too damaged to get an accurate Rx for glasses. My doctor hesitantly wrote one out, but by the time they arrived it was like watching the world through a funhouse mirror.

Cut to three weeks ago. I had just gone back to try again with the glasses and had replacement lenses on order when things took a turn for the worse and I landed in the emergency room barely able to see. I started a series of drops and goops, but even after weeks going sans contacts and mascara (with the exception of few hours for an event) the damage was escalating and I was not responding to any treatments. For most of last week I had only a few hours of functional vision a day.

I’ve been through a run of specialists and medications, and the good news is, although it’s still a bit blurry, things are beginning to come into focus. The bad news is that it will be several more weeks until my vision is fully restored.

In the meantime I’ve enlisted Gregor’s help to keep things going around here. Starting tomorrow, be on the lookout for more of his picks – for both ladies and gents – and some shorter posts from me. I’m also taking this opportunity to liven up our sadly forsaken Facebook page. Be sure to join us for shopping tips, surplus pics and more!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Losing Focus

1. Awww, Holly, I had no idea it was that bad! I’ve dealt with eye problems and I know how scary it can be. You, Gregor, and Wheetzy let me know if you need anything!

Thank you! I was frustrated but I didn’t realize how serious it was until Friday, at which point I freaked out. Luckily by Monday they started more aggressive treatments and it’s improved significantly since.

2. I am so sorry to hear about your eye issues! I hope you are feeling better.

3. Marissa says:

Holleigh! I had no idea it was so bad! Aww… I’m so sorry. I’m glad you have such an awesome boyfriend to take care of you, though.

4. Bonnie says:

I hate eye issues. It is such a pain when you can’t see.
    Glasses give you a huge opportunity for a different kind of fashion, though, which is super fun.
    Plus, you automatically look smart.

Twitter: @GlamKitten88

5. noelani says:

I had no idea all this was going on! So scary when something you rely on so much is suddenly not working or in jeopardy, sorry to hear you have been going through this. Let those babies heal!

6. Ria says:

omg I’m so sorry to hear about your eyesight. It’s amazing the things we do that damage us unknowingly. Sending you positive vibes that you’ll come through this.

7. SageMag says:

OMG losing your vision can be so scary. Feel better!

8. Adrianne says:

sending cuddly hugs and kisses! feel better holly. i have had horrible eye issues my whole life (even an eye patch as a kid!), so i feel your pain. take care of yourself dear. xo.