DIY Double Spike Earrings

These earrings give the illusion of gauged lobes with a double-sided spike stuck through. I threw a pair together on a whim a few weekends ago. All the pieces happened to be out on the coffee table (an advantage to my cluttered existence) and inspiration struck. I was surprised, then, when I instantly began receiving compliments and requests to make more. They are so deceptively simple!

spike earrings closed

spike earring opened

What you’ll need:

spike earring parts

- 4 screw back spikes (minus the screws)
– 2 earring posts and backs (like those pictured above – not the butterfly backs)
– 5-minute epoxy (Note: We actually used regular epoxy and, after waiting hopelessly for it to begin to dry, cheated with a spot of super glue to keep things in place while it set.)
– toothpick, plastic fork or other disposable mixing/gluing utensil
– newspaper or cardboard to cover your work surface

What to do:

mix epoxy pressing spikes
placing spike
epoxy posts placing posts
pressing posts

First, test your earring backs for size. They should just fit inside the spikes with a thin ledge along the outside. Minor variations from one back to the next can make the fit too loose or too tight. Find backs that fit snugly and completely within the spike.

Cover your work surface with newspaper or cardboard. Mix equal parts of your epoxy components according to the instructions on the package.

Using your toothpick or plastic fork, put a little epoxy along the sides of the earring backs, being careful not to touch the ends. Press the spikes over the earring backs and hold them firmly in place for a minute.

Dip the flat base of the earring posts in epoxy and press them to the remaining spikes. Hold them in place for a minute or two, until they will stay put without sliding.

Allow epoxy to set completely (usually 24 hours) before wearing.

et viola

If you follow me on Instagram you’ve already seen the earrings in action, but you can also check them out in Najeema’s latest post on A Stylized Hysteria.

This entry was posted in diy and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to DIY Double Spike Earrings

1. Samantha says:

the things you come up with!! thanks for linking najeema’s blog- they’re much bigger than i thought they would be! love!

xo

2. Charlotte says:

These are totes cool (I think thats what cool people say now a-days…)!! I’m going to try this as soon as I’m back in the U.S.A!! Wow, I just looked at the link, they are big, which makes them even cooler!
    Charlotte

3. I love mine so freaking much, thank you again!!! These pictures look great btw. Totes cool, for sure! :D

That phrase is going to pop out my mouth quite often, I think.

“Totes cool” or “for sure”? Because the latter has been resurfacing at an alarming rate, everywhere. Surfer culture revival?

P.S.
      The earrings look awesome on you!

I LOVE these earrings! I saw them on Najeema and though how cool they looked. You are so crafty! I’m tres impressed…

5. Stephanie says:

This looks so cool! Makes me wish I had pierced ears.

6. Milena says:

Wow. It’s awesome!

7. Coolsario says:

They are awesome! I wish I could get those spikes here! I’m trying to come up with an alternative and create a diy to make them for those of us who can’t find them in where we live, i’ll tell you more if I find the solution!

I think studsandspikes.com delivers internationally, but not sure whether it’s worth the shipping costs. Good luck, and let me know what you come up with!

8. Pingback: Weekend Reading

9. Pingback: Pretty / Ugly | covetous creatures

10. Tanya says:

Love these. I have a smaller pair but I love the big ones

11. simplysamanthasblog says:

Reblogged this on Samantha's Blog and commented:
    I must do this! I love spikes and this is amazing! :)